News: Footballer Odemwingie saved from racist Russia


Peter Odemwingie reckons regaining his smile by escaping Russia's racist fans has inspired his sensational debut Premier League season.

The 29-year-old striker has smashed 15 goals since joining West Brom last August from Russian club Lokomotiv Moscow for a bargain £2.5million.

The Nigerian international, who has become a cult hero at Albion and has scored in the Baggies' last FIVE successive matches, invited MirrorFootball into his city centre apartment in Birmingham ahead of today's visit by Everton.

Odemwingie can see The Hawthorns from his high-rise luxury penthouse and is loving life in England.


In contrast, he was subjected to abuse in Russia, where fans cruelly mocked his departure with a huge ironic banner saying: 'Thanks West Brom'.

But Odemwingie has had no hassle here and says his contentment has fuelled his superb form after being named April's Premier League player of the month.

"I feel happy and good in this country and am playing well," he said. "You go anywhere in the country and you don't hear any shouts or racial abuse, all that does make a difference, it makes you feel normal.

"I never had bananas thrown at me in Russia, but I saw it happen to other players. Going to some away games and getting that sort of treatment, it distracts you on the field and is not about football.

"It changes your mind-set and there were a few groups of fans with their own agenda.

"Lokomotiv is a really nice club but I felt, 'If I can avoid it, I would like to leave Moscow.' Here, I have never been subject to anything like that - I have a big smile and am playing my football."

West Brom have a proud history of embracing black players, since the 1978-79 season when they were the first club to field three black players in the same side.

Then, manager Ron Atkinson gave Cyrille Regis, Laurie Cunningham and Brendan Batson their chance and the trio were dubbed the 'Three Degrees'.

Odemwingie added: "It is a big plus [that] the club has this history.

"I met once with Cyrille, he was among the first black players to play in the club. Even the younger fans sometimes talk about him now and that means he really did good here."

As well as delighting Albion supporters, the amiable Odemwingie has made a lot of friends since switching to the Midlands.

He lives in the same apartment block as team-mates Jonas Olsson and Jerome Thomas, who are often round for coffee from his new espresso machine.

Odemwingie added: "I think it is important for team spirit to spend time with each other off the field.

"Sometimes we go to the cinema, sometimes we go out to a restaurant or to someone's house.

"It is turn by turn, and someone different hosts.

"I haven't cooked for them yet, I am learning. For now all I can do is put out some biscuits and coffee."

If his kitchen remains largely a mystery, Odemwingie has swiftly mastered the Premier League, where his pace and trickery have impressed Albion boss Roy Hodgson.

His goals have Albion on the brink of a top 10 finish in their first season after promotion, something that was implausible when Roberto Di Matteo was sacked in February with the club in the drop zone.

Odemwingie's heroics have got the Baggies looking up instead of down and the forward also has big personal ambitions.

He has another year to go on his contract but Albion are desperate to tie him to a long-term deal, amid interest from richer top-flight clubs.

The star admitted: "Like most players, I want to play at the highest level and in Europe.

"If it is a big, interesting offer for me and the club, I will definitely think about it. If any team in the top 10 of Europe offers any player a contract he will listen to that.

"If it comes and the club is happy, I might give it a think. But of course I will think twice whether to leave, and I might end up saying 'no' if I am not sure I will be as happy as I am at West Brom."

So Odemwingie's career, which included La Louviere in Belgium and Lille in France before a big-money move to Russia in 2007 may have another new chapter.

But many more goals from Odemwingie, and Albion supporters will remember him for years to come, as they do trailblazer Regis.

By James Nursey

Comments