News - 'Mr Handsworth' Hector Pinkney awarded MBE in Queen's Birthday Honours

HECTOR Pinkney, known to his neighbourhood as “Mr Handsworth”, has been given the Royal seal of approval in the Queen’s Birthday Honours.

The modest 58-year-old said news of the MBE made his “heart tremble” after years of devoting himself to the inner-city community.

He features in a long list of gongs for the great and the good of Birmingham and the West Midlands. Among them triple jumper and Olympics silver medallist Phillips Idowu, aged 32, who trains under Birchfield Harrier Aston Moore, in Birmingham, and has also picked up an MBE.

By day, granddad Hector works as a security officer at Handsworth Library but his countless duties and network of contacts have made him the go-to man for people across the area.

Events he’s behind include a weekly running club and exercise classes for the Soho Elders’ Group. He set up a karate club and organises benefit nights. He has also become a youth mentor and helps the library hold talent competitions and live music events.

He said: There are a lot more people in the community who deserve a lot more. I know I just do my best whatever I do.”

Handsworth’s reputation as a “no-go area” would be lifted by the award, he said. Hector’s family has been involved in community work since arriving in Handsworth from Jamaica in 1962.

He worked with his sister Dolores helping young people on the Dojo community project. His late mother Mavis used to run an informal youth club from the front room of her home in Leonard Road back in the 1960s and she campaigned to launch the Muhammad Ali Centre.

The building in Hockley is now derelict but Hector is hoping to get it back open.

“My mum brought me here to make a life,” he added. “She shines down on me in everything I do and she would be saying ‘well done son, that’s why I brought you up to be a good lad’.”


ALSO


Dolores Pinkney and Hector Pinkney (Active Citizen Award)
Sister and brother Dolores (60) and Hector Pinkney (58) have been community activists for over 20 years. Together they run the DOJO community project in Handsworth, helping the community by running activities such as jogging sessions on Tuesdays and Sundays, as well as securing the lease to build a community playcentre on the derelict site of the Hockley flyover.
Dolores and Hector led the fundraising which made over £2,500 to pay for the funeral of local homeless person, Lester Kidd, who died in a fire in November 2009.

_________________________________________________

Congratulations to my Uncle even though I may not be a fan of terrestrial terms such as MBE when it comes to community work my family does have deep seated roots. I believe when you have a big heart you do things for that not the accolades its a good thing to touch lives positively. I know my Uncle has been there to help others as well as me wherever he can, and I commend him and also my Aunty Del.

Comments